Implementing A Routine Diabetic Foot Screening in A Primary Care Clinic
Diabetic foot ulcers are one of the chief complications associated with diabetes, which can be managed in a primary care setting through early identification, lifestyle modification, diabetic management, and referral. This DNP project aimed to implement provider and staff education to improve diabetic foot screening practices and implement a “Three-Minutes Diabetic Foot Screening” tool for all diabetic patients in a primary care setting at every visit. The project leader conducted a four-week retrospective chart audit on foot assessments prior to staff education, and weekly chart audits over twelve weeks to evaluate the progress of the diabetic foot screening after the post-educational intervention. At the completion of the project, of the 450 diabetic patients seen, 204 (45.3%) patients were screened. Of the 204 that were screened, 29 (14.2%) patients were identified with diabetic foot complications. Out of the 29 patients with complications, seven (24.1%) patients were referred to podiatry and vascular surgery, and the other 22 (75.9%) patients were managed at the project site. The new screening tool and patient education reduced the incidence or severity of complications such as diabetic foot ulcers and amputations. Regular staff education, frequent foot screening, diabetic foot education at every visit, precise documentation, early diagnosis and treatment, and referral to a specialist will improve the outcomes of diabetic patients at a primary care clinic.
George, Regimol. (April 2022). Implementing A Routine Diabetic Foot Screening in A Primary Care Clinic (DNP Scholarly Project, East Carolina University). Retrieved from the Scholarship. (http://hdl.handle.net/10342/10565.)
George, Regimol. Implementing A Routine Diabetic Foot Screening in A Primary Care Clinic. DNP Scholarly Project. East Carolina University, April 2022. The Scholarship. http://hdl.handle.net/10342/10565. May 23, 2022.
George, Regimol, “Implementing A Routine Diabetic Foot Screening in A Primary Care Clinic” (DNP Scholarly Project., East Carolina University, April 2022).
George, Regimol. Implementing A Routine Diabetic Foot Screening in A Primary Care Clinic [DNP Scholarly Project]. Greenville, NC: East Carolina University; April 2022.